Monday, January 1, 2007

Basketball Training Tips - Proper Form of Shooting

Shooting mean you can score the basket. I am a shooter in my team, I often scored with my jump shot. I like to see the ball get in to the basket just drop from the air. I like to hear the sound when the ball get in to the basket and hit the net. I like to see it from far, from 20-25 feet’ far from the ring. It’s good felling, man. It’s give me extra energy to continue to play, it’s a best scene that I can see when I am on the court. Nothing but net!

While some players seem to be born with the ability to shoot a basketball most are not. Most great shooters have honed their skills through trial and error and also hours of practice. The saying "perfect practice makes perfect" is very true in respects to shooting the ball. A player can stay in the gym for hours and shoot thousands of shots and not get any better because they are shooting the ball wrong! I had go by this process too, but after I get the proper form from my coach, I had improved my shooting accuracy. In other words if a player doesn't have the proper form all the practice in the world could be of little value and even hurt the players game all together because with every shot the player is actually "getting better at shooting the ball wrong". The first step to shoot the basketball is to have the proper form.

WHAT IS THE PROPER FORM?
It's extremely difficult to tell you the proper form of shooting a basketball through written text. I like to use a method that my coach call the Catch, Square, Tuck, and follow through method when training your shooting skill. First you catch the basketball then you square your shoulders to the basket next you tuck your elbow, and finally you follow through on the release. Here are the details:

1. Look at your elbow and how it is in relationship to the shoulders. It's directly in-line with the shoulders, in other words it's not out to the right. This is where the elbow should be.

2. Assuming the shoulders are in-line with the basket meaning the body is facing the basket. By tucking the elbow this automatically aligns the ball with the rim. Now that you had your shoulders squared to the hoop and your elbow tucked in you can concentrate on the shot. This brings us to the follow through step.

3. Following through is one of the most important aspects to shooting a basketball correctly because the follow through puts backspin on the ball which gives you the "shooters touch". Learn the "fishhook" method of releasing the basketball. This simply means that when the ball leaves your hand the arm and hand should be in a form which is shaped like a fish hook (really like an fish hook form).
In other words the arm will be fully extended and you will "flip" the wrist when releasing the ball. On the release the ball should leave the hand in a "flipping" motion not a "push" motion. Learn to "flip" the basketball not "push" it towards the rim. The ball should leave from the fingertips not the palm of the hand.

You are not alone, I still in learning process to have this proper form. So, try and try and try, the succes words in having this proper form is practices and practices and practices, don't give up! We will make it!

No comments: